Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"4:01 AM" by A. Monaghan


It's 4:01 AM
I'm wide awake, it's the rats in the attic.
I curse, take a piss, dress,
and step outside.
It's a clear moonlit night.
I'm bent out of shape.
I want to wake the whole
Goddamn sleeping world,
so I walk.

The cold air on my face.
The first blackbirds.
A large ginger and white cat,
on the gleaming wet street.
He stops and sprays ,
looks at me, and walks of.

The cigarette tastes good
and walking calms my jangled nerves.
The outline of a cabbage tree against
the darkness of the sky.
I stop and breath the beginning of dawn.

I feel foolish living this life,
and walk home.
I rub my face hard,
and smell the smoke on my fingers.
I drink some tea
and wait for the day to come up.
It's 4:30 AM
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment